EclectEcon

Economics and the mid-life crisis have much in common: Both dwell on foregone opportunities

C'est la vie; c'est la guerre; c'est la pomme de terre . . . . . . . . . . . . . email: jpalmer at uwo dot ca


. . . . . . . . . . .Richard Posner should be awarded the next Nobel Prize in Economics . . . . . . . . . . . .

Monday, December 05, 2005

Christmas Music

I love traditional Christmas music. In fact, last April, I looked through the WinAmp offerings to see if there was any Christmas music available via internet radio in the spring. Alas, there wasn't.
I have to admit that makes sense. Surely the demand curve lies below the AVC curve for any potential producer. Put another way, the incremental costs of running a Christmas music internet radio station in April outweight any potential benefits, even if that station could capture the entire demand.
Actually, as recently as a month ago, there was no Christmas music available via internet radio. And two weeks ago, there were only two offerings.

As I write this, there are still only ten internet radio stations devoted to Christmas music. And searching through these ten has confirmed for me that I do not much like junky modern Christmas songs; I will not dignify them by calling them carols.

At the same time, our digital cable service now offers at least two different channels of Christmas carols, one of which is almost exclusively instrumental versions traditional carols. I love this channel. It makes for great background muzak.

In the past, I used to set up my 25-disk CD player about this time of the year to play all my Christmas music CDs. Now we just listen to cable.
 
Who Links Here