EclectEcon

Economics and the mid-life crisis have much in common: Both dwell on foregone opportunities

C'est la vie; c'est la guerre; c'est la pomme de terre . . . . . . . . . . . . . email: jpalmer at uwo dot ca


. . . . . . . . . . .Richard Posner should be awarded the next Nobel Prize in Economics . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Curmudgeonly Reviews

Yesterday morning, Ms. Eclectic went to a grocery store in a nearby town. Even here, in rural Ontario, the small-town store had the latest Harry Potter novel on sale, for $15 off the list price. She bought two copies: one for herself and one for our son's family.

Unlike her, unlike my son, and unlike most of you, I have never read a Harry Potter novel. I have never watched a Harry Potter movie. I'm sure I'm missing something wonderful in the minds of many, but for some reason, I don't care. I'm not into novels and movies about kids and sorcerers and mysticism or whatever.

Also, I have never read nor seen a movie involving the Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings. Same thing: the overall topics do not interest me.

Recently, I made the effort to read Dan Brown's two big sellers, Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code. My reaction? ehhhhhhhhhhh~~~~~~. I'm maybe a bit glad I read them because everybody talks about them, and they weren't bad, but the plots are similar; and while the details are okay they're overdone.

My objections to these books are not at all like those of a co-blogger at The Western Standard. It's just that my tastes run more to "airport novels".
 
Who Links Here