EclectEcon

Economics and the mid-life crisis have much in common: Both dwell on foregone opportunities

C'est la vie; c'est la guerre; c'est la pomme de terre . . . . . . . . . . . . . email: jpalmer at uwo dot ca


. . . . . . . . . . .Richard Posner should be awarded the next Nobel Prize in Economics . . . . . . . . . . . .

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Why Students Should Major in Economics

From Katie, at A Constrained Vision:

Was Tom Wolfe in my classes??

In I Am Charlotte Simmons, the nerd hero defines what it means to be "cool": A cool guy--and I've seen this happen--can secretly work his ass off five--no, four--nights a week at the library, but he has to make light of it if anybody catches on. You know what the favorite major of the cool guy is? Econ. Econ is fireproof, if you know what I mean. It's practical. You can't possibly be taking it because you really love economics. [emphasis added]

I always knew there was something I didn't like about Tom Wolfe's writings --- I love economics.

ohmygod. what does that say about the meaning of "cool"?
 
Who Links Here