EclectEcon

Economics and the mid-life crisis have much in common: Both dwell on foregone opportunities

C'est la vie; c'est la guerre; c'est la pomme de terre . . . . . . . . . . . . . email: jpalmer at uwo dot ca


. . . . . . . . . . .Richard Posner should be awarded the next Nobel Prize in Economics . . . . . . . . . . . .

Monday, September 05, 2005

Which Wine Goes Best with a Big Mac?
the economics of complements

Alex Tabarrok is now an honourary life-time member of the Philistine Liberation Organization for having sent me an article by Matt Hopkins from the Washington Post [reg. req.]:

In the interest of full disclosure, I eat fast food with guilt. I gravitate toward an assembly line meal's stronger flavors, despite knowing I'm often choosing the least healthy option on the menu. To compensate for the large number of deliciously greasy calories, I pass on the fries and the supersize soda. But the lack of a sweet cold liquid leaves me craving something more.
My second confession is easier to admit: I drink strong peppery red wines with just about everything.

Even though I'm an avid reader of wine magazines, a veteran of wine club tastings and known among my friends for my improper thoughts, it still took time for me to concoct the odd idea to combine my two vices: A wonderfully deep fruity zinfandel would be just about perfect with my new favorite mushroom Swiss burger (I'm a sucker for those "limited time" sandwiches, too). ...

"Hi, could I have value meal No. 5? Yes, with the Sonoma zinfandel, unless the chef has a different suggestion. Okay, supersize please."

After a little experimentation, turns out my odd pairing isn't so odd. The current fast food fixation on lighter, fresher foods and spicier sauces is made for a stronger drink. More suggestions for fast-food favorites made to pair with wines that usually cost less than $15:

To see his suggestions, click here.

What a great new set of examples to use in the classroom when teaching about complements!

Update: Phil Miller has the answer to the question in the subject line.
 
Who Links Here