EclectEcon

Economics and the mid-life crisis have much in common: Both dwell on foregone opportunities

C'est la vie; c'est la guerre; c'est la pomme de terre . . . . . . . . . . . . . email: jpalmer at uwo dot ca


. . . . . . . . . . .Richard Posner should be awarded the next Nobel Prize in Economics . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Decoration Day

I just returned from playing with the community band for "Decoration Day" ceremonies at the local cemetary to honour soldiers who died in the line of duty.

Believe me, I am grateful for all they did, and I am happy to honour them.

Nevertheless, I feel uncomfortable at these ceremonies because they are so infused with "God is on our side" jingoism. I'm sure our enemies claim God is on their side, too. I do not believe either claim; I am concerned, disgusted, and a bit frightened by such claims.
 
Who Links Here