EclectEcon

Economics and the mid-life crisis have much in common: Both dwell on foregone opportunities

C'est la vie; c'est la guerre; c'est la pomme de terre . . . . . . . . . . . . . email: jpalmer at uwo dot ca


. . . . . . . . . . .Richard Posner should be awarded the next Nobel Prize in Economics . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Book Tag

Peter Mork [Economics with a Face] is playing book tag:

1. Total number of books I have owned.

I don't have a very good handle on this. My rough guess is somewhere between 3000 and 5000, but the confidence interval is really wide.

2. Last book I bought

The Making of Henry by Howard Jacobson. You have to be into British Jewish humour to appreciate it. I'm neither British nor Jewish, and it is slow going, despite Jacobson's great writing talent in many other areas.

3. Last book I read

Secrets of Libertarian Persuasion by Michael Cloud. This is in case I decide to run for Parliament on the Libertarian Party slate of candidates. 8-)

4. Five books that mean a lot to me

  1. The Economic Way of Thinking (Canadian Edition) by Paul Heyne and John Palmer. Paul's U.S. edition had a big impact on me. It was a real treat to do the Canadian adaptation.
  2. Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman. It helped me understand economics better than a four-year undergrad degree did.
  3. Industrial Concentration: The New Learning by Goldschmid, Mann, and Weston. This book played a major role in converting me from the Bainsian paradigm to the Chicago/UCLA approach to industrial organization.
  4. One for the Money by Janet Evanovitch. A bit gruesome at times, but the humour makes the entire series worth reading. As the series progresses, the books become less gruesome but are just as funny, if not funnier.
  5. Leave it to Psmith by P.G. Wodehouse. Introduced me to the hilarious writings of P.G. Wodehouse. Unfortunately, his books stopped being hilarious after about I had read about 40 of them... 8-)

5. Tag Five People and have them do this on their blogs.

Friends I've made and re-made through blogging:

  1. Alan Adamson (co-blogger at our Curling blog): Silly Little Country
  2. John Chilton (former colleague at UWO): The Emirates Economist
  3. Brian Ferguson (met while visiting Guelph long ago): A Canadian Econoview
  4. Tom Luongo (fascinating person, but where's his blog?): Being Thomas Luongo
  5. Phil Miller (co-blogger at The Sports Economist and co-researcher on a sports economics project): Market Power
 
Who Links Here