EclectEcon

Economics and the mid-life crisis have much in common: Both dwell on foregone opportunities

C'est la vie; c'est la guerre; c'est la pomme de terre . . . . . . . . . . . . . email: jpalmer at uwo dot ca


. . . . . . . . . . .Richard Posner should be awarded the next Nobel Prize in Economics . . . . . . . . . . . .

Friday, February 04, 2005

Why Iraq is Different from Vietnam

Like Christopher Hitchens (writing in Slate), I was actively involved in the anti-war movement. But that was back in the 1960s and 1970s.

I groan everytime I hear people say Iraq is like Vietnam all over again. It isn't. Here is why. Please read all the points he makes.

His conclusion is:
I suppose it's obvious that I was not a supporter of the Vietnam War. Indeed, the principles of the antiwar movement of that epoch still mean a good deal to me. That's why I retch every time I hear these principles recycled, by narrow minds or in a shallow manner, in order to pass off third-rate excuses for Baathism or jihadism.
 
Who Links Here