EclectEcon

Economics and the mid-life crisis have much in common: Both dwell on foregone opportunities

C'est la vie; c'est la guerre; c'est la pomme de terre . . . . . . . . . . . . . email: jpalmer at uwo dot ca


. . . . . . . . . . .Richard Posner should be awarded the next Nobel Prize in Economics . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Wal-Mart Basketball

Yesterday I was engaged in one of my very most favourite activities, shopping at Wal-Mart.

As I walked down one aisle, I was blown away by a display of basketballs. A huge cage of yellow, smiley-faced, Mr. Rollback Mascot basketballs. They were under $5, so I bought one. I love it.

I'm sure I have another basketball somewhere in the garage; I don't care. I love this one because it stands for Wal-Mart and its consistent ability to provide me, in a pretty rural area, with great products at low prices.

When I first moved to Canada, about 68 years ago, I bought a basketball for, I think, about $5 then, which would be the equivalent of about $50 today. Being able to buy a really nice basketball today for one-tenth the price of one back then just amazes me.

I hadn't shot any baskets for several years, not since playing h-o-r-s-e at a party, where I beat the other team by making a hook shot over and from behind the backboard. Today my FG% on practice shots, with no opposition, was about 2%. I'm no Steve Nash [see "Trying to Solve the Nash Equation"]

Update: Kevin, of Always Low Prices, asked for a photo, and so here it is:


 
Who Links Here